Women of all ages, weight, and activity often have a desire and a need to be fit and healthy. Women’s activity levels have increased substantially over the past years due to many factors.
It is considered an important factor in their eyes in order to emphasise equality and demonstrate their strength both physically and mentally to the entire world.
This article discusses the top supplements that women can use to complement their daily diet in order to live a healthy, strong and fit lifestyle and potential risks associated with their consumption.
Top Supplements for Women
- Whey Protein: Whey protein is derived from milk and aids in muscle hypertrophy and recovery.
- Caffeine: Caffeine is the world most popular stimulant that helps users gain high levels of energy and intensity.
- Fish Oil: Fish oil contains two essential acids required for muscle growth and overall fitness.
- Casein Protein: Also derived from milk and can be of extreme benefit for women in gaining strength and required muscle if consumed at certain time periods.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D aids in muscle strength and growth by activating certain genes.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant that promotes recovery after a rigorous workout. Especially necessary for women.
- Multivitamins: Multivitamins are a blend and mix of various essential minerals and vitamins. They help protect against deficiencies caused by a poor diet.
- Hemp Protein: Last but not the least is hemp protein. Hemp protein, especially a good organic hemp protein, is one the most advantageous supplements for women due to its high digestibility and added benefits such omega-3 fatty acids and belly-filling capabilities.
Risks Associated with Supplements for Women
Too much of anything is considered dangerous. The same goes for excessive and unnecessary high usage of supplements. There are numerous risks associated with high use of supplements for women. Some of them are as follows.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D helps in absorbing of calcium in the human body and its adequate consumption is necessary especially for women. However, high intake of vitamin D supplements has shown to introduce kidney stones. This was found for postmenopausal women who took vitamin D supplements daily.
- Calcium: Calcium is beneficial for strong bones and a healthy functioning heart. Calcium supplements have shown to improve low calcium blood levels in women. But research has concluded that calcium is better absorbed through natural food rather than supplements. Extra calcium gained through supplements can settle in the arteries instead of the bones.
- Multivitamins: There is simply no substitute for a healthy and stable diet. Consumption of multivitamins has not shown to protect against diseases such as cancer and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Soy Isolate: Numerous women consume soy supplements to help relieve symptoms of menopause. However, this can prove extremely risky and in some cases fatal. This is so because the soy supplements have shown to increase breast cancer in women due to high levels if oestrogen present in them.
There are numerous healthy supplements available for women that help them achieve the desired level of fitness and lifestyle. However, risks and potential setbacks must be evaluated before consumption of any health supplements.